[CAUT] Lighter Touchweight

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 22:28:58 MDT 2007

I'm sorry but the resistance arm of the wippen is to the jack center pin.

Picture this: A simple first class lever like a key but is a balance where
the the fulcrum is centered on the beam.  Put two equal weight on the ends.
What happens? Now take two rods of equal weight but one 4 '' long and the
other 4 feet and put the weights on the ends of the rods. What happens?
Right!!! It stays level!!! The ratio of the lever did not change. We do not
measure the ratio to the top of the rods or the jack because they
are.essentially a monkey that transfers force from one area to another The
lever arms do not change length because you change the length of the monkey.
So as you can see the RA of the wippen is fixed but the EA changes when you
move the rail.

The leverage of a key doesn't change when you put the action so far up you
have stickers. You don't measure the key ratio from the balance rail to the
wippen contact point on an old upright do you? Why on a wippen/jack set-up?