[CAUT] Lighter Touchweight

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 08:43:04 MDT 2007

Yes that drawing is true if you are measureing the actual distance moved of
the the arcs but we are talking weight and force not key dip and hammer
travel. That action ratio is only good for distance. For weight or force,
the effort is applied at the wippen cushion and transmitted to the jack pin.
The jack is not a lever so the force at the top of the jack is equal to the
force at the center pin. Correct me if I'm wrong but then I think I can move
the jack back and forth at the knuckle, rotating it slightly about the
center pin, and there is no significant change in force UNLESS you get the
parts too far out of alignment.
You need to look at what you are trying to acomplish. As you can see from
the drawing that moving the wippen rail back will increase the length of the
arc produced at the jack/knuckle and also decreases the length of the arc of
the the corresponding effort arm. Therefore these two movements offset the
distance changes of the the arcs and you see almost no change of measurement
of hammer travel. Yes you are right.
However the force transmitted did change and that is what you want. A
lighter perception of the weight.

Keith Roberts