[CAUT] Uniform Formal Education

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 21 09:07:01 MDT 2007

At 09:15 AM 10/20/2007,Cy Shuster wrote:

>At North Bennet Street School, we had three instructors rotate
>through the first-year class.  This allowed us to learn a variety of
>techniques to do the same job: key leveling with the stack off, or
>with it on, using split punchings from the bottom, and so on.  We
>also got to hear explanations of concepts from different
>people.  And yet the goals we were set to were the same and
>well-established, pretty much in line with the RPT exams.
>
>There were twice as many practice pianos as students, and we rotated
>through them, tuning every day on spinets, consoles, studios,
>uprights, small and large grands.  We sure didn't do four a day; we
>had to have class time! :-) But when we got a solid tuning in under
>three hours (c'mon, remember your first tuning?), we could go out to
>Boston U., Harvard, and the local Steinway dealer, to get a larger
>variety of experience.  It was quite an experience to deal with the
>huge amount of wear on rehearsal room pianos (as well as the random
>assortment of items dropped inside them)!  We tuned those pianos for
>free, and it was a good partnership between the universities and
>NBSS.  We both benefited.

Ah, yes, Cy. You have introduced a very important principle into this
discussion. "Uniform" does not mean "one-dimensional". It is the
height of folly to think that in order to get to a uniform
educational standard one needs to teach "a uniform way of tuning: how
to sit, hold the hammer, even setting a temperament" as somebody here
seems to be advocating. That's nonsense.

I remember my experience at North Bennet School twenty-some years
ago,  when the current Director David Betts was introducing his
philosophy into the program - which has proven highly successful over
the years. He made sure that students were exposed to as many
different approaches to each issue, process, problem or procedure as
possible. He thoroughly discussed the advantages and disadvantages of
each approach or the appropriateness of each in various situations,
and he urged the students to try as many as they felt comfortable with.

I remember on several occasions students tried to pin him down on
what would be "the best" approach to a particular repair or
rebuilding procedure. Or what's "the best" temperament", or "the
best" tool, etc. etc. He would simply repeat his litany of the
advantages and disadvantages of each. When people really pressed him
in terms of what he does in his own practice he would say something
akin to the following:

"Look, I am not you and you are not I. We all have different physical
structures, different abilities and degrees of coordination,
different size hands and degrees of strength. We all see differently,
hear differenty and think differently. What works for me may not work
for you, and what works for you may not work for me. All I can say is
get familiar with the methods that make sense to you, get really good
at one of two of them - and keep the others in reserve for situations
where the ones you are comfortable with don't work".

In my opinion, one of the bigger problem with much of the instruction
offered by the PTG - in classes, chapter meetings, some of the
publications - is precisely this "one size fits all" mentality. How
many times I hear people argue over whether this or that is "best" or
"correct" or  whatever - when essentially they are both right
(depending on the specifics of a given situation. I have seen
students bat their heads against a wall trying to do things "the way
they have been taught" - unsuccessfully, and then being introduced to
another method - and picking it up in a flash. Not that the second
method is "better" than the first -  they are both used successfully
by many people. Just that for some reason the student can relate
better to method B than to method A. Trying to force a unitary way
down students' throats is a sure way to retard learning for many people.

The technician who pursues his or her training through opportunities
presented by the PTG probably has access to most of the knowledge
that one can get in a formal course or in an apprenticeship. Some of
the problems in such an approach, however, are:

1. Guidance as to what knowledge to pursue when. Learning is
incremental. You can't learn how to write essays if you don't know
how to form words. Think of how this principle applies to tuning,
repairs or regulation. The simplest example - students being taught
how to tune a temperament before they have developed the ability to
distinguish beat rates, the manual dexterity to manipulate tuning
pins in a precise manner, the aural stamina to listen intently for
extended periods of time without their ears "shutting down" or the
understanding of acoustics on which aural tuning is based.  (Hint: at
NBSS we spend weeks tuning unisons and octaves on a daily basis -
starting with short periods of tuning practice and gradually
lengthening them - to build stamina - until we developed the aural
and manual skills to attempt temperament tuning and some
understanding of the acoustical principles involved. It was boring as
hell - but it worked.) A printed curriculum could help in this area.
It could help instructors to structure classes and training sessions
more effectively - and it could guide students in choosing their
classes. A good mentor is even better...
2. Information overload. Many classes and instructors throw way too
much information at students all at once. They walk out of there
thinking that they "learned a lot" - but it is only surface learning.
The information or skills have not been assimilated. Ask them to
repeat what they "learned" or actually do it - and you find out that
it is really very little. Yes, some exceptional folks can learn
effectively in such conditions - but most can't.
3. Lack of follow-up. To be retained, learning must be reinforced,
repeatedly and at short intervals. This is what a school or an
apprenticeship will do for you. But unless someone has the
facilities, the equipment and the self-discipline to practice what
they learned after coming home from a convention or a chapter meeting
- very soon and at a great frequency - much of the learning is lost
or garbled. Another aspect of follow up is the availability of
someone to correct the misunderstandings that inevitably happen in a
one-time class situation or than can result from the misreading of a
self-study text. You get that at a school or in an apprenticeship
situation - but the free-lance student has to seek it out. Not all
do. That's how poor methodology gets entrenched...

There are many more issues that I will not vex you with at this
point.  A printed curriculum can go a long way in at least offering
the possibility of correcting such problems as the above. The rest is
up to the individual - and there is no way to make sure that any
given individual will make good use of whatever tools are made available.

I have two illustrations for you. One happened, I believe, on this
list and illustrates points 2 and 3 above - surface learning and lack
of follow up.  In a discussion of regulation, letoff and aftertouch,
someone quoted a well-known instructor to the effect that "Letoff
affects nothing". This is what they remembered from a rather complex
regulation class. Of course to one with a good understanding of
regulation it is obvious that the statement is not true - letoff
affects aftertouch. What the instructor really said was "nothing
affects letoff" - which is true. The letoff control is mounted on a
rigid rail, and the only way to change it is move the control
explicitly - (turn the button or move the rail) - nothing else you do
in the course of a regulation will change letoff. I wonder how many
students in that class misunderstood how many of the principles that
were taught, how many had their misunderstanding corrected and how
long they labored under their misconceptions before that
happened...  This is not an isolated instance - I come across stuff
like this on post-exam interviews all the time.

The other happened at a technical exam at a recent PTG Annual
convention. I examined a candidate who seemed to be an expert. He
completed each task with plenty time to spare, earned a very high
score on each and seemed to be a lot calmer than the average
examinee. To  be honest, I rarely see anyone perform on such a level
at an exam. I asked him how long he had been doing piano technology.
He said, two years.  asked him if he had any formal training. He
said, no, he learned on his own. I asked him - how. He said that he
learned from the available texts, worked on procedures on a daily
basis, one step at a time, making sure that he had thoroughly
assimilated and practiced each step before going on to the next and
found someone to consult any time he had trouble with anything.

I can think of two mentors located on two opposite sides of the US
(whose names I will not mention) several of whose students I have
examined. All of them seem to have been able to operate in the same
manner as the examinee described above. I watched one of them
accidentally break a part during the exam - and without missing a
beat repair it, complete the task within the allotted time and earn a
perfect score! And all of them were quite young - which suggests that
they didn't take years and years to learn the trade. Apparently there
are people in the PTG who can teach and learn effectively - without
taking forever to do it...

Just a few things to think about in the context of the current discussion...

Israel Stein