[CAUT] Older Steinway Upright 124 cm

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 22 11:46:15 MDT 2007

Hi folks

Looking for some info on an old Steinway upright... measures 124 from
the underside of the legs to the top edge of the case (top open)  Serial
number 181742 puts it at 1916.

Someone put new hammers on this, so its impossible to know for sure what
what originally on the thing, and its developed repetition problems.
Whippen cushion cloth needs replacing and the key pins are gungy as can
be.  Looks like the new hammers were glued on with a very pronounced
rake.  With good keydip and no lost motion...even with the capstans too
high, the jacks dont move alllll that much out from under the knuckles.

I havent run into one of these for a long time in my neck of the
woods... so if anyone has operating specs on this I'd appreciate it. At
least it would be a starting point for sorting it all out.  Keys have
original leading and static down weight is around 52... but it doesnt
lift much.  Loads of friction.

Any info at all will be appreciated.

Cheers
RicB