[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 22 16:52:51 MDT 2007

Hi Jeff.

Fair enough, and thanks for the response.  Its not really that I took
offense mind you.  I  guess I've been on these two lists long enough now
to know when someone is really throwing a nasty comment my way.  I just
raised the point because I know how I'd probably get braised if I'da
thrown something like that out myself.  I try to be careful as it is and
I still get it from time to time.... but nuf said.

Lets put aside the laughable bit for a post or two and get into why this
is not a plus for a CAUT head tech.  And thats what I am suggesting it
for mind you, for a person who is to head up a serious music school,
conservatory, college within a university... what have you. Why do you
find this so useless ?

Strikes me that a person with at least an associates degree in music has
enough basic knowledge in the field to at least be able to relate to
most musical situations he/she is in.  I believe that is of value, and
if I was a music director and had to choose between two otherwise equal
resumes I'd pick the person with the associates degree hands down.

One other bit.  An associates degree in music is really not hard to
achieve. And I get the sense you are kind of aware of that in saying
"I've been in that world for
22 plus years and I've seen what students of music are prepared for".
There is a lot they leave out.  Ear training for example... a shadow of
what it once was.  Indeed I'd turn the whole thing around on music
students as well and require they know a certain degree about tuning and
instrument theory.

I suppose it might be wise for me to mention that we have probably
different ground level perspectives to begin with... which bind us to a
certain necessity for disagreement on these kinds of issues.  But our
very disagreement allows for us to voice and bounce off each other our
variant perspectives... and hopefully, that may help those who are
struggling in committee to come up with a good direction for CAUT to
go.  Whatever that turns out to be... I'll back them up in the end. A
PTG/CAUT variant of my country right or wrong I guess.

Cheers Jeff
RicB

    On Oct 22, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Richard Brekne wrote:

     > Only one point to make.  Nobody I know of on this list deserves to
     > have anything that is on their mind described as laughable.

    Ric,
    I realize it may have seemed I addressed that specifically at you,
    but I did not.  You are not the only one who has suggested a music
    degree be required or even desirable.  I originally wanted to direct
    comments along those lines at the job description which originated
    this thread.

    But I was a music major -- I did not finish in music, but in business
    instead.  But I spent the majority of my college time and since in
    and around the music school.  I'm sorry.  I've been in that world for
    22 plus years and I've seen what students of music are prepared for.
    For anyone to suggest a music degree should be required or even
    desirable for a piano technician to be considered for a college
    position is based in complete folly.  That is my opinion based on my
    experience.  There simply is no justification for such a requirement.

    It has been said before on this list (not by myself, but I concur)
    that it would be frightening to hand many of these music majors a
    screwdriver.  There is little about what is taught in a music
    curriculum that has anything to do with what we do.

    I'm sorry that you took offense.  Offense was not intended.  But I do
    laugh every time I hear such a suggestion.

    Jeff