[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Oct 23 18:49:50 MDT 2007

On 10/23/07 3:12 PM, "David M. Porritt" <dporritt at smu.edu> wrote:

> I think college administrators have to interview, check backgrounds, do their
> do-diligence but I really have my doubts that any testing PTG could do would
> do as well as a good college football scout can do and they miss a lot.

Hi David,
    The problem is that there is no animal in the music department who is
the equivalent of the college football scout. Who in your music department
do you think qualifies as a good scout for piano technicians? And even if
they actually know what to look for, where is the opportunity for them to
witness a game or two in a real life analogy? (Okay, the candidate can come
and do a tuning or something, but that doesn't say a lot, even if the
³scout² can evaluate it reasonably well). Not to say that the administrator
doesn¹t need to do the normal due diligence in any case, checking
recommendations, etc. But one of the problems we face is that the person
usually doing the hiring has no concept of the skills needed, and has to
rely almost entirely on a best guess of what references and experience set
might mean. Probably doesn¹t really even know what questions to ask.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico