[CAUT] another Chickering 1/4 Grand question (pinblock)

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 20:25:48 MDT 2007

It has been interesting reading the recent posts concerning Chickering 1/4 Grands.?

I have one in my shop, and I knew prior to bringing it in that it had a 2 part block.? Once I got it torn down and removed the old blocks, I?could find?no reason for it to be two pieces.? There is no height change on the plate webbing or odd contour on the flange (except for the step).? It just looks like someone took a one piece block and cut it in two.

So it seems to me that this could be replaced with a single piece block.? The two pieces meet at the bass/tenor break.

My questions are:? Why did they build it this way, and is there a reason for me to replace it this way?

Gordon Large, RPT
Piano Technician for Colby College,
Waterville, ME