[CAUT] Other ways of testing...for CAUT

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Oct 24 06:41:18 MDT 2007

Ed,

That was similar to my interview here at UNL.  I didn't have a choice,
however.  They took me to the Piano Dept Co-chair's office (which had 2
Steinway B's) and told me to do what I thought best to the one by the
window in 3 hours.  This was nerve racking, but it really let me "show my
stuff".  They also grilled me on how much I knew and we "tested" two of
the concert grands and asked my what I would do. It actually turned into a
teaching lesson showing them different things I noticed about the
instruments and my methods for correcting what I saw/heard.  The interview
lasted all day; the rest was the usual stuff meeting the Dean and Director
etc.

Anyone else had an interview like this?

Paul

"Ed  Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
10/23/2007 07:14 PM
Please respond to
Ed  Sutton <ed440 at mindspring.com>; Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Other ways of testing...for CAUT

Just for fun, here's a college interview I was told about:

The candidate was given a choice of a half-dozen weary studio grand pianos
and told "Pick a piano and show us how much you can improve it in 3
hours."

I think that was a pretty clever idea!  I wish more school administrators
were that clever.

Ed Sutton