[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Oct 24 08:44:05 MDT 2007

Eric:

I agree with about all that you've said below.  I'm just not sure how a
test can be created that will truly test the skills that a successful
CAUT will need.  This is especially true since so many jobs are so
varied.  I wish you success in your efforts to create a test.  Perhaps
I'm just not creative enough to see how it's going to happen.  I can
envision a test for minimum skills - i.e. a person who can't pass this
test has no chance at a successful CAUT career.  But moving to the other
end of the success ladder is far more difficult.

In many cases the high school football coach might have the exact same
training and background (played college/pro ball etc.) as the successful
NFL coach but the differences are un-testable, un-quantifiable personal
qualities.  The qualities that make the successful CAUT are difficult to
even describe let alone test.  Possibly the first step should be to
describe in words what makes a successful CAUT then try to determine how
to test for those skills and qualities.  I don't know.  I do know that
you have been given a really tough job to come up with a test that will
actually do what you want it to do!!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu