[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 11:41:53 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Porritt, David <dporritt at mail.smu.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 4:44 am
Subject: Re: [CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Eric:

I agree with about all that you’ve said below.  I’m just not sure how a test can be created that will truly test the skills that a successful CAUT will need.  This is especially true since so many jobs are so varied.  I wish you success in your efforts to create a test.  Perhaps I’m just not creative enough to see how it’s going to happen.  I can envision a test for minimum skills – i.e. a person who can’t pass this test has no chance at a successful CAUT career.  But moving to the other end of the success ladder is far more difficult.

In many cases the high school football coach might have the exact same training and background (played college/pro ball etc.) as the successful NFL coach but the differences are un-testable, un-quantifiable personal qualities.  The qualities that make the successful CAUT are difficult to even describe let alone test.  Possibly the first step should be to describe in words what makes a successful CAUT then try to determine how to test for those skills and qualities.  I don’t know.  I do know that you have been given a really tough job to come up with a test that will actually do what you want it to do!!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu

Very few Pro football players, (or basketball or baseball), who were stars, made good coaches because playing was natural for them, and they didn't have to work hard at it. They don't understand how a "normal" player can't do some things. The best coaches are those who were not good players, because they took direction, and worked hard. By the same token, a concert level tuner who got near perfect scores on the tuning exam, or even the CAUT exam, might not be suited for university work because even thought their work is excellent, they can't get along with people, or are arrogant about the work they do. That is something that can't be tested or measured.

Wim