[CAUT] "Introduction" & Recent Experiences in Concert Tuning

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 00:46:19 MDT 2007

I offer this as perhaps some food for thought for the committee as they
ponder the why's and how's of the CAUT test.
I had done some concert tuning here and there when asked to but most of it
had been handled by the older more established techs in the area and then
about 35 years ago I began tuning for a school district, a rather large
district with at the time eight grade schools feeding students into the one
Jr. high and High school. The high school had a 1000 seat theatre with stage
lighting, no fly loft but decent acoustics, the aisles were carpeted and all
of the seats were plushly padded. A few years after I began there they
traded off the Steinway O and 5'11" Chickering and acquired, with the help
of a local philanthropic fund four new p-22's and a new Yamaha C3. Within a
couple of years they began the concert series, this wasn't affiliated with
the school but the concerts were held in the high school theatre. The
concert association was a non-profit group of volunteers, the concerts were
available to ticketholders only and tickets only available by the season.
The first 2 years they had groups that didn't use a piano. The 3rd season
began in early November with a concert pianist, I was to tune the day of the
concert, I had no special instructions. I knew the grand hadn't been tuned
since the previous March and had intended on being there by noon. My morning
tuning ran long and I arrived at 1:30, I quickly pulled it to pitch, rough
tuned it then began to go through a second time more slowly, I finished that
one. It was now almost 3. I began a 3rd time through this to be the finish
tune, I was a half hour into it and the pianist arrived, early. He
introduced himself, looked at the piano asked how it was going I said fine
and he walked away. Ten minutes later he was back, "Are you almost
finished"? I told him no it would be a while yet. He left and 15 minutes
later he was back again wanting to know if I was almost done, I repeated no
it would be a while yet. Again he left and 15 minutes later he was back
again, was I done yet? When I tune I concentrate, I tune aurally and I tend
to have a unibrow which I furrow and I guess it was still furrowed when I
turned to him, he wasn't a very tall man and I am 6'4" so we were about the
same height with me sitting on the bench and I said to him "Look pal, you
can have it good or you can have it fast"! He looked at me for moment turned
and walked away and wouldn't come near me the rest of the time I was
there! The association prez thought it highly amusing. I like to call that
my intro to concert work. Over the years I've tuned for many in that venue,
at other schools and the University of Wisconsin at LaCrosse. I was at a
Guild meeting when my cell phone rang and it was a director from a high
school I hadn't done any work for in years. He was in a jam, the Luther
College band was playing at his school that evening and gosh they'd just
realized the piano was out of tune! What were they performing? Rhapsody in
Blue, it was 4:30, curtain time was 7 and I was an hour away. He had called
everyone else in the phonebook and I was the only one who answered! So I
beat it back, got there at 5:25, the piano was a KG-2 about 6 or 7 years old
that he SAID was tuned 2 weeks prior for another concert. It was a full 25
to 30c flat over the entire range, I had a rider with me a guy who was just
getting into tuning, a real newbie, he just stood and watched me crank
through this thing. I pulled it sharp and sharper and sharper still, all the
way up pounding and pounding as I went and it stayed put for the most part,
I went through the bass twice then went back through it checking for ones
that hadn't held and redoing them. The audience was filtering in at 6:50
when I finished and I got a little round of applause, I hate when that
happens! A few weeks later I got a call from UW-L to do the Kawai GS-60 for
someone, I didn't get the name, on a Sunday at 11:00AM, the artist wanted to
use the piano for a few hours first, untuned then she would finish at 11 and
I could tune. I said OK, I'll be there. He said that's all? I said yes is
there more? he said no I just thought you might wonder why she wants to play
on the untuned piano. I told him I stopped asking why about 25 years ago, I
just ask where and when, I leave the why to the music majors, I'm a
right-brained person working in their left-brained world. I'm a practical,
even-tempered, common-sense kind of guy and why she wants to spend a few
hours playing on an untuned piano may make sense to me or it may not but if
she wants to it's none of my business why! I arrived about 1/2 hour early
that Sunday and it became very apparant why. She and her 2 sisters all
Juilliard trained from early ages when they came to this country, one on
violin, one cello and this one on piano. The others could practice anytime
in their hotel rooms or a small room somewhere but this one needed a piano,
preferably a grand. Watching her I saw she was trying new material, playing
with a recorded piece, trying it several times over and over. This was her
practice time and the piano didn't need to be in perfect tune because she
wasn't playing perfect pieces. Precisly at 11 she stopped and began
gathering her music, the sound tech went up with me to introduce me and
after we shook hands she said, "it's out of tune". I told her yes it would
be it hasn't been tuned since the last concert 6 weeks ago. She didn't
respond just walked away.
So what do these illustrate to the committee? Probably not to consider
me<grin>. Seriously find a way to test the cool of the would-be CAUT's, I
believe that is every bit as important as concert ability or tuning seven
pianos the last as well as the first. Cool under pressure, some would say I
snapped at the man in the first story. I did nothing of the kind, he was
interrupting my "concert" if you will and I simply let him know I didn't
care for it and gave him a choice. Perhaps the real question would be after
he/she tunes that seventh if you asked her/him to adjust a pedal on your
practice piano, would he/she smile and do so ask if it could wait until
tomorrow or tear your head off? More importantly after tuning seven pianos
which would she/he be entitled to do?

Are Caut's second class citizens or do they have a right to say, I've worked
enough hours today, it can wait until tomorrow.

I have, when I'm tuning for a concert stopped when the stage noise got too
bad and asked in a VERY loud voice, "Am I bothering your conversations by
tuning here"???? Sometimes it takes a few moments but it gets very quiet and
stays that way for a while and if I stop again, so does the conversation!

There are times when you have to get the job done quickly no muss no fuss,
times when you have to make your point to get your job done and times when
you just keep your head down, say little and get in do your job and get out.
Mike
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com