[CAUT] Moving wippen rail

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 28 14:14:35 MST 2007

I understand the thinking, but would point out that the whippen center
hammer center spread is really quite predetermined by the position of
the jack at rest when the action is a the desired regs specs. It should
be very perpendicular to the shank with the back side of the jack
running an extension of the line of the back side of the knuckle core.
Not a lot of room for moving this around unless you want to introduce
friction problems.

Cheers
RicB

    I go back to my original assertion and what my own experience has
    demonstrated: shimming the wippen flange is just as effective as
    moving the
    stack and unless there are other compelling reasons to move the
    stack, as
    Jon cited in a previous post, I would recommend this as a more
    expeditious
    method of gaining a slight mechanical advantage.  Whether it creates a
    problem with jack alignment is something that once should consider
    prior to
    such an undertaking.  Personally, I've found that there is some
    leeway in
    this area.