[CAUT] Digest, Vol 1103, Issue 85 Moving Wippen Rail

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 08:00:42 MST 2007

>consider this:  A right triangle
>Short arm = jack center to jack tip.
>Long arm = knuckle core to hammer molding center line
>                     (line drawn parallel to shank from jack tip)
>Hypotenuse = optimum spread?
>
>Or is this triangle measured to shank center.  I don't have the time now to
>look into this.   Just a passing thought.

I tried it this morning on a Samick which I'm trying to get the
inherent friction down.
Filing, tapering and squaring the tails brought the touchweight down
but not too much
the friction. BTW Jack was buried into rep stop felt.

Action spread was good with 17 mm knuckle radius. Moved the stack back 3mm
to improve Strike point, dropped BW but not friction. This also
involved moving the
frame forwards and rehanging hammers 51-88 90 degrees to the shanks since they
were pitched back and understriking. Also shimmed up stack 1.5 mm.

Next endeavor to reduce friction: move knuckles out 1 mm to 18 mm.
Relocate wippen rail for knuckle core/jack center alignment.
Regulates well with spread at 114.2 mm.
The friction dropped to normal or below levels.   + +

I also checked the 'right triangle' aspect.  It didn't work measuring
jack center to tip
but did to shank center. I guess it confirms my spread selection.
Next time, I'll use
this as a start and see where everything lines up.
--

Regards,

Jon Page