[CAUT] Unauthorized "prepared pianos"

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 10:15:45 MDT 2008

Here at UMKC, just down the road from you, 3 of the 4 piano
performance professors actively perform and teach prepared piano
pieces, so it would be pointless for the piano tech to oppose such
performances. Actually, I performed such pieces when I was a student,
so I guess I'm part of the opposition. The best you may be able to do
is regulate non-traditional piano use; you will not be able to stop it.

Run, do not walk, to purchase a copy of "Non-traditional Piano Use",
the video from Alan Eder at ReggaePass at aol.com. It describes
responsible inside-the-piano techniques, and you should try to get as
many pianists as possible to watch this video.

A problem I have had this school year is pianist's believing that they
should be able to leave preparations in between the time of their
rehearsals and recitals. This is forbidden, of course, but it has
still created resentment when I have had to explain the obvious, that
in busy halls with multiple pianists using the pianos each day, no
preparations of any kind are allowed to remain in a piano after a
given rehearsal or performance are over. I remove all marks and
preparations on sight, of course. Pianists should leave pianos with
absolutely no evidence of any kind that inside-the-piano techniques
were used.

We _are_ making special arrangements to dedicate a piano for a few
days to an upcoming series of dance performances for which a prepared
piano will provide the accompaniment, but that's the only exception of
which I'm aware.

All the best,

Kent Swafford