[CAUT] WNG Action Thumping Jacks

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Apr 13 15:13:28 MDT 2008

At 01:55 PM 4/13/2008, you wrote:
>I have an Everett concert grand to service with a rebushed and
>repinned WNG action in it.  Everythings seems fine except for a the
>jack thumping back to the reg. stop on release of key in pianissimo
>playing.  Any ideas how to tame this?
>
>Andrew Anderson

In the past I've tried "voicing" the felt of the regulation stop with
needles. Some improvement, not a lot.

You could try putting a very thin nameboard felt liner on the top of
the stop felt, with very minimal glue, and see what happens. Of
course, you'd have to make a minor adjustment of the jack placement,
and then go over it very carefully later after it was packed in a
bit. I could see a tradeoff between quiet versus exact regulation of
the jack to the knuckle core, but it might be worth it.

If you try this and it works, please get back to us.

Susan Kline
OSU, Newport Arts Center