[CAUT] Ronsen-Wurzen hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 16 23:16:09 MDT 2008

> No question about it!  Which is why hammer manufacturers would do well to
> offer their hammers in three different pressings: soft, medium and hard to
> accommodate different soundboard responses and different accompanying
> scales.  Weight variances are also important but at least one can manipulate
> that on one's own.  Why this is so difficult, maybe someone can explain.
>
> David Love

It's so difficult because 99%+ of hammers installed are hung
with the soundboard and scale being considered a more or less
standard and interchangeable given. Our worlds are defined by
what we deal with. Designing and building belly systems that
are different from those everyone else deals with daily is an
enlightening experience. Greater efficiency is quite possible,
and changes the hammer hardness requirements result. Somewhere
on the far side of the complexity of getting there, it becomes
simple again.

Ron N