[CAUT] Grieg Experiment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Apr 23 11:45:57 MDT 2008

Hi Folks

I recently was privileged to be the technician for a very special
recording on Edward Griegs own old Steinway B.  To make a long story
short... old wax roles of Edvard Grieg himself were used to reference
his playing style so that a present day pianist could recreate his exact
style on Griegs own instrument. There has been some controversy as to
how fast to play these old roles.  One thing that came clear was that
playing them so as to achieve present day pitch results in the music
being very fast and rather makes Grieg the pianist sound a bit comical.
The folks behind this project were convinced that Grieg was adamant
about using a much lower concert pitch... 434-436 and when playing these
roles so as to achieve that pitch the playing becomes much more lyrical
and beautiful... more what one might expect from a musical genius such
as Edvard Grieg.   So we tuned his instrument down from its present day
usual 442 to 436... which had a dramatic affect on the sound of the
instrument as well... virtually eliminating a very prevalent killer
octave area.

In anycase... the link below is a sample clip which interlaces the new
recording with digital copies of the old wax roles of Edvard Grieg
himself playing.  I hope you enjoy this little taste of the project.
Interesting to be sure.  The segments where the wax roles come in are
easily distinquished because of all the static that could not be
filtered out. The rest is our recording on Griegs Piano. Hope you like it !

Pianists Sigurd Slåttebrekk / Edvard Grieg
Producer and Sound Technician Tony Harrison
Pianotechnician Richard Brekne

http://www.pianostemmer.no/music/Grieg.wav

Cheers
Richard Brekne