[CAUT] Grieg Experiment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 25 14:54:00 MDT 2008

Hi Fred and all interested.

Glad you liked it.  I thought it was really cool myself and am very much
looking forward to the CD.  I should mention the sound of Griegs piano
as played by Mr. Slåttebrekk is raw mic sound.  This was just a tidbit
the producer sent me to let me get an idea of how we all did getting
this old lady to sound, and how well the project as a whole is going.  I
thought the piano sounded very well indeed... bringing it down to 436
helped enormously. I wish you all could have heard up close and personal
the difference this pitch change made.

I also want to echo your sentiments about Sigurds ability to match
Edvards style.  Again.. sitting and watching them at work... they picked
the old digitized wax roles apart phrase by phase.  The piece you heard
was about 3 days work.  The final CD will be about 30 minutes of music I
believe.  We were all out there for 4 weeks in the late fall and another
2 weeks in Jan / Feb.  They also have done some work in Oslo on a D, but
I am unsure as to whether they will use the material from there.  They
fell in love with Edvards instrument.

I dont know exactly what kind of processes were used to digitize the wax
rolls.  I just know there is another method being used then what was
used on the files we had available and that this other method is
supposed to be quite superior.  I can get Tony to write a bit about that
and forward it along I think... if you all are interested.

Anyways... cool you all found it enjoyable.  It was/is probably the most
enjoyable project I've ever had the privilege  to be a part of.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    Fascinating! Amazing job of matching both style of playing and
    timber of the instrument. It certainly sounds convincingly like a
    re-creation from the past. Do you know to what extent the digitized
    version of the wax cylinder recording was manipulated
    electronically, if at all? (I guess there is bound to be some
    manipulation, even if not intentional, in the mechanical process of
    cylinder to needle to "trumpet" and then placement of mikes and
    setting gain and whatnot).

    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico