[CAUT] Brodmann pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:35:53 MDT 2008

	I agree with Ric's attitude, and, in a different way, with Jim's and
Ron's. First, yes, Jim and Ron are right in that there are a lot of
narrow-minded people out there who accept something as "true" based
purely on "authority" (the experts, or major manufacturers, say it is
so, therefore it is), and aren't willing to go to the trouble to
verify for themselves whether it really is so. Ron and Jim are much
more entitled to their opinion because it is based on their own,
fairly extensive experience.
	But Ric is also right, in telling Jim and Ron that their opinion
based on experience doesn't make everybody else wrong. It's another
example of the creation of an "authoritative" opinion. Maybe a longer
back length changes a lot of things, and in a direction that may be
thought to be "better." Perhaps it creates more sustain, a bigger bass
sound (lots of ways of describing what happens). Is this good? Well,
not if it overpowers the mid treble. Not if it makes the sound of the
whole instrument have less clarity. It might be better, for any given
design, to have less sustain in the bass, less power. There isn't
necessarily an absolute right answer.
	A case in point is the Perzina upright, with its reverse crown and
"floating" bottom of the soundboard (instead of being attached to the
rim, there is a maple "rib" across the bottom). The bass is quite
boomy, very nice sound in and of itself. Does the whole piano sound
better as a result? Maybe so, maybe no, it's a matter of opinion.
Maybe the bass overpowers the treble. (I haven't made up my mind, and
haven't had enough opportunity to play and listen to be entitled to a
real opinion one way or another).
	And the wide variance in opinion about hammers and voicing styles
shows that there is no one single right answer in that field, either
(though that is pretty obvious to most of us). It is great that there
are so many intelligent people out there having differences of
opinion, making different kinds of sound. More power to "la difference!"
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu