[CAUT] endangered european piano- newspaper article

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 30 11:27:16 MDT 2008

	I think there is and will continue to be a market, admittedly small,
for truly high quality musical pianos. It will consist of concert
halls, institutions of higher education, and a small number of
individuals (the rare ones who are not only accomplished musicians,
but also have a fair amount of money). The major problem facing
manufacturers, I believe, is that they are competing with an enormous
used/remanufactured inventory out there for re-sale. But I am
convinced that some manufacturers will survive. The parts
manufacturers will survive because of us, the rebuilders purchasing
parts. The manufacturers that survive will be those which are nimble,
and find creative ways of marketing - like even (shudder) the Baldwin
one-off "designer" pianos.
	But, yes, I become more and more pessimistic about the future of such
firms as the lovely German ones. Fragile as all get out. The one truly
bright spot is China: an enormous market that is seemingly just
hitting its stride. 40-50 million piano students, with no used
inventory to speak of in the country. Some percentage will become
accomplished and demand quality. We're seeing a heck of a lot of them
come to this country and raise the bar.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico