[CAUT] endangered european piano- newspaper article

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:04:13 MDT 2008

Hi-

It's probably a good thing that we really don't know what will happen.
One fundamental interest deeply rooted in the human experience however,
is irony.  In the face of impressive technology that gets more
complicated every year, isn't it interesting how certain architectural
designs from decades past remain so popular. Look at the reissue and
collection of high end hand made Arts & Crafts furniture for example.
That industry is growing. People will definitely become more and more
plugged in- that seems clear, but I have to believe there will always be
a substantial market for the real thing.  If not, then we've got a lot
more serious problems than piano sales.  We represent a connection to
that time when the world was much smaller and less complicated, which is
something to be proud of and charge appropriately for.  Still- it's a
very good idea for any young technician to learn what they can about
electronics service.

That's just my ramble on the subject......

cheers,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College