[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Apr 30 17:03:02 MDT 2008

Hi Alan... others

We dont get many Kawai instruments up here... and I cant remember the
last time I saw a GE-1.  I think however... your question is just a tad
bit too general.  Why not take a specific set of scale measurements,
bridge placement measurements and throw those out for discussion.

The general idea of bringing the bridge out more into the meat of the
panel is well enough discussed... as is the longer back scale.  Freedom
of movement is central to this whole idea.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Jim and Ron (and others),

    I do not have enough first-hand experience with especially short-scale
    instruments that have been recipient of the kind of treatment that the
    Brodmann thread was about, namely new string scale with a shorter
    speaking
    length, longer backlength, no cantilever. But I am curious about
    what kind
    of tonal change I might anticipate if I were to rescale, say,  a
    Kawai GE-1.

    Would anyone be interested in describing what would be the likely tonal
    result with these changes to this short-scale piano? I know words won't
    likely do justice to it, but I'd be interested to hear anyway.

    BTW, this isn't idle curiosity.

    Thanks.

    Alan