[CAUT] Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 1 12:25:45 PST 2008

If we are asked to provide a technical evaluation then thats what we
should do.  If the administration wants your artistic input... then
thats another matter. My point is that we should take care to seperate
our P's from Q's here.  Administrations and faculties largely rely on us
for our technical insights. For them, starting out in the process of
deciding what kind of direction to go relating piano purchasing
considerations is a complicated affair and deals with not a few issues
that our out of our realm. Some of them are out of the faculties realm
as well for that matter.

Of course we should be considered as colleagues as opposed to staff..,
also as regards to the artistic side of our work. But we are technicians
at the same time... have hand workers, half artisan, and half
administrators. In supplying information to supplement the
administrations considerations it be wise to make sure they know when we
are talking as a technician, when we are speaking as an artist, and when
we are speaking from an administrative stance.

I make no argument against being a full and active part in such
important decisions. I only underline the need to keep our variant roles
clear to those we supply information to.... exactly because they are
<<such important decisions>>

Cheers
RicB

    I disagree with this sentiment; that we should limit ourselves
    purely to technical discussions.  It is true our strengths are in
    the technical field, but that should not limit us in our ability to
    be involved in the "artistic" decisions of our schools.  We are as
    involved in the musical process as most faculty.  It is to our
    advantage to be considered colleagues as opposed to staff.  We have
    more to offer than solely the service of  pianos.  If we allow
    ourselves to be marginalized by not participating in such important
    decisions, we put ourselves in the position of being thought of as
    nothing more than piano mechanics.  For a group that constantly
    complains about the lack of pay and respect in our profession, we
    sure have a strange way of enabling such a position by assuming such
    a benign existence.

    Rick Florence
    Senior Piano Technician
    Arizona State University