[CAUT] What to do???

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 16:19:18 PST 2008

Hi Paul,

Every winter we have to contend with RH below 30% almost all of the time and under 20% for a good deal of it.  It goes with out saying that this is bad for pianos (and string instruments, reeds, organic drum heads and the like).  We have many Yamahas and some Steinways, Bosendorfers, Falcones and Baldwins.   They have all unquestionably suffered from this extreme seasonal fluctuation, yet there are no separated ribs (that I am aware of), and a few compression ridges, but no opened soundboard cracks (yet).  As for tuning stability, like the guy from Joisey sez, "Fa-ge-da-bou-dit."

Alan Eder