[CAUT] What to do???

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Dec 2 06:17:00 PST 2008

Thanks Joel,

I have compiled extensive records on the classroom/recital hall with a
Steinway D and a Benn harpsichord that had wild (I mean wild) humidity
swings in 24 hour periods.  I presented that and still....nothing done.
The director now tells me a new HVAC system will cost $6 million.  At
least he and the Dean are talking about it...probably due to my message to
the Senior Vice Chancellor (a customer of mine!) about the situation. He's
also now asked me for some alternatives.  I will compile a quote for 70 DC
complete units including undercovers.  The other pianos in classrooms and
concert halls get moved too much by uneducated piano movers and one piano
gets moved around campus for outside music building events (a completely
rebuilt Steinway A - 1911).

Do you all think DC will give a discount for that many systems?

Paul

"joel a. jones" <jajones2 at wisc.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
12/02/2008 08:06 AM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] What to do???

Paul,

Two additional methods that I used in a very similar situation.

1. On you 'day off' do some retail therapy and visit your radio shack,
discount hardware and purchase
several digital temp/humidity gauges.    Place them in areas such as
the concert hall, faculty studios,
classrooms, etc. and take readings every am and pm.   Simply bury your
superiors in paper work.
You now have a record of the situation and it will neatly CYA.

2.  I found a thermohumidigraph which plotted a week of temp/humidity
changes.  There are probably
nice battery operated digital ones available now, but again it is
showing the change to an undesirable
environment.   The National Forest Products lab is on my campus, so I
didn't have far to go to find
colleagues with the proper initials to defend my position.

The advice to find the tradesmen who are responsible for operating the
HVAC equipment and
sitting down with a pot of coffee and donuts to see what can be done is
spot on advice.   I continued
to remember them at birthdays, deer season, and holidays with something
for their consumption.
For 35 years I made friends with my colleagues with the tool belts.

Speaking of the paperwork I asked for advice from the administrators.
What would you do in my
situation??? Our answer was to place temp/humidify gauges in each HVAC
area.  We read
the gauges each week and gave that info to the tradesmen assigned to
our buildings.  Again,
it was a tracking record of the environment, which made the heating
department look good
by holding the temp/humidify stable throughout the year.

When all else fails.   Keep smiling !

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI