[CAUT] What to do???

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 2 09:27:41 PST 2008

Hi Paul,
	Your system does seem to be creaky and clunky. I think the norm these
days is atomizing water through fine nozzles kind of like a spray
bottle in function, as opposed to using steam (which is probably the
way they transport heat from a central plant to your building, so they
are just releasing some to raise RH). In any case, I would talk to
people about maintaining some minimal standard with what you have -
say a minimum of 30% RH - as opposed to trying to maintain a narrow
window. If they can manage that, then you can install humidistats and
rods in most of the inventory to take care of the high humidity, or at
least manage it fairly well. It seems to be extraordinarily expensive
and troublesome to maintain a tight window of RH, and there are good
mechanical reasons why this is so. But I think most of the expense is
in dehumidifying (because it requires "generating cold" to remove
moisture, colder than is needed for temperature control).
	Since you do have some kind of system for adding humidity, it might
at least be possible to find a fall back position between complete
replacement of HVAC and just throwing up your hands and living with
what happens.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico