[CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 4 23:24:43 PST 2008

    Hi All,
    I thought the Boston 118s was all right.
    I think the 126's are definitely more desirable.
    I certainly wouldn't want a 1098.

    Ron Poire retired
    UMN school of Music

Hi Ron.

I service several Bostons of various sizes and find them to be quite
satisfactory all in all. As part of a midrange priced package deal I see
no reason whatsoever for advising against them.  On an individual basis
I can most certainly find cons, both of practical sort and from my own
sense of musicality. I think the uprights are a bit high priced (at
least here in Norway) compared to most pianos they are meant to compete
against.  And tho I find the G178 and G215 to be very nice sounding and
balanced instruments, I am less satisfied musically with the other
grands Boston offers.  As for the S&S 1098... well I never had any
particular problems either tuning them or servicing them, tho I did not
particularly like the bass from a musical standpoint. I suppose my first
1098's were a bit testy to figure out a good hammer technique... but one
gets past that after a while with any new (to you) instrument IME.

I get the feeling that very much of this discussion in the end really
winds up with its basis in what I view as an irrational resentment of
Steinway and their dominance and much less to do with any real
dispassionate objective comparatives, analysis, or regard to larger
perspectives that concern such decisions an administration has to make.
There will always be a market dominate company who will generate all the
same kinds of resentment that Steinway seems to do in these folks.
Indeed... before too long Yamaha may very well finally achieve their
goal of taking over.  This side distraction has to do with the nature of
the human being and there is I am afraid nothing we as individuals can
do about that. Humans are flock animals.... grin... as even lists such
as this display quite clearly.  There are always and always will be
large groups all following their respective deities. Those few who truly
attempt to step out of that box get isolated quite quickly one way or
the other. The flock, any flock... does not "like" the individual so
much unless he/she is seen as some kind of hero.  Even then its not so
much a matter of liking the person as it is worshiping. This despite all
the apparent weight placed on the individual in some western
societies.... which is quite a false picture really in the end.

All who wish of course must go on ranting and raving about the big bad
wolf who in reality is just an old honorable company (as honorable as
any company can be in their position) trying to survive in an ugly
market world.... and slowly but surely getting beaten down... curiously
enough with the help of many patriots of its home country who apparently
would rather see their demise and resultant necessary establishment of a
new order dominated by some Asian make.... as most certainly that will
happen with any future exit of S&S. Just that many less American and
European industries... just that much more...er... ah... globalization I
think they call it in polite terms. I truly would love to see any of the
critics of this, or any such company try and produce even a remotely
successful instrument on a scale of any significant proportion. There
are so many problems of all sorts that are so difficult to keep all
together under some kind of control it is quite unfathomable that any
company can do it at all.  Let alone with the success through the years
S&S has displayed.

Yep... they are far from perfect. So what ?  There far too many out
there far to ready to cast the proverbial first stone IMO

Cheers
RicB