[CAUT] pinning

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 19:07:14 PST 2008

I had to level strings for my mentor, Dale Erwin. I had never done it
without Joe's string level. (I had introduced the tool to him) so I aked how
it was done without the string level. He said with the finger or eye or
whatever and told me to try. So I did about five or six different methods.
Some technical, some feely. Then I checked with the level and not a one was
close. When I told Dale, he said that was what he found too.

So the best (I think) without the level would be to assume the agraffes are
level and draw the hook along the string from about 2 inches out on up to
the agraffe. Treat each string equal and mate the hammer to the strings.
This seems to bring the strings into a close level. Then you adjust only if
the sound is errant. or the required filing of the head is too much and
indicates uneven strings. The hammer might be the best level yo have if it
is aligned and shaped properly.

Keith Roberts