[CAUT] Self-taught tuner; was Steinway 1098

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 6 09:54:20 PST 2008

Re: [CAUT] Steinway 1098I don't have any agenda other than what I said: you learn to tune what you have to learn to tune on.  As someone said, he didn't know any different.  I said I found the piano in surprisingly good tune, and I know he is the only person who has tuned it in years.  He has also in the past touched up unisons on pianos at his church (he is a minister of music).  Another colleague of mine here in our area, who is a full time technician of more than 30 years has also seen his piano and commented similarly on the tuning of it, "not too bad".

I agree it may be difficult for some to believe that a self-taught tuner can tune one piano and do a decent enough job to be acceptable.  This fellow is not the first I have run across. Most of us run across situations where pianos have been tuned by individuals we can't even classify as hobbyists, and yet find the piano in good enough condition to be useable.  Not for the philharmonic, but acceptable enough for a lot of applications.  But we have discussed before that some people are good self learners while others have to be spoon fed and critiqued on every tittle.  The first tuning I ever attempted was unsupervised and the owner liked it so much he thought it was worth paying me for.  There are many of us with similar stories.  And there are many others out there who tinker with tuning: some not so bad, others not so good.  Depends entirely on the genetic makeup of the individual and how much information one has to begin with.

Tanner