[CAUT] S&S teflon bushings - reaming procedure

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Sat Dec 6 14:11:56 PST 2008

Fred -

The little experimenting that I've already done produced the same
results - either too tight or too loose. I already have the Mannino
reamers, and had wondered if it might be worth experimenting with them
as well (now that I've just dropped over $200 on S&S's "kit" plus
reamers :-(

You are also right about the friction coming from more than just the
centers. A bit of prolube on the keypins and capstans, and some teflon
powder on the BR holes, knuckles, wip cushions and key bushings each
remove another 2g or so. Adding that to the  10-12g of extra friction at
the centers gets me down to the mid to upper fifties. Additionally, the
FW at #40 is only about 65% of Stanwood's published maximums, so I could
probably even add another small lead to get me right onto spec.

Thanks,

- Mark Dierauf