[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 11:55:43 PST 2008

All you can really do is soak them in thinner and try to wash the lacquer
away from the strike point.  You can use acetone but I would use lacquer
thinner.  The acetone flashes off a bit too quickly.  Soak them right over
the crown and use several applications within about 5 minutes of each other.
Be prepared that the amount of thinner applied will tend to run down the
sides of the hammer so you might consider a tray of some type underneath to
catch the run off.  If the hammers are actually not on the shanks you might
try dipping them or even soaking them.  After each soaking change the
thinner as it will get contaminated with lacquer leaching out of the
hammers.  Try one to be sure that the glue joint won't let go but I don't
think it should be a problem.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com