[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon Dec 8 14:04:09 PST 2008

Hi-

The only additional trick I would add to what already has been said is that
it can be helpful to quickly wrap the hammers by section with plastic to
slow evaporation and let the thinner work more effectively. They don't have
to be wrapped for a long time, but depends.  Maybe an hour or so, then rinse
out with more.  I use the maple packing strips from Renner shank boxes to
clamp plastic around the hammers with low tension spring clamps.  Might as
well take something in advance for the headache you are likely to get from
the fumes.

good luck,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf