[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Dec 8 14:51:07 PST 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:26 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> I've used the hammer softener as well, but BEWARE!  It's easy to
> make them pretty well worthless.  I used it on a practice room and
> one DMA student left me a note that they sounded like "Nerf"
> hammers! Way dead.  However, filing a bit and needling brought them
> back to "near dead" for another year, but I think I now have to
> replace them.  Hint...use the hammer softening touch very
> carefully!     Might work, though, if your really conservative with
> it.

	I think you can get more controllable results with alcohol and water,
because you can control (and know) how much water is in the mix (water
being the active agent, alcohol just the vehicle for getting it in the
felt evenly). 91% isopropyl is 10:1 alcohol: water. 70% is a little
over 2:1. A mixture will be in between. Experiment. You'll find 91%
can be used quite liberally with subtle effect. 70% needs more
caution. Somewhere between is somewhere between. But the point is that
you are controlling how much water is entering the felt through its
dilution, not just through how you apply it (where, how deep
penetration is, how much you saturate). I've been experimenting
recently with adding fabric softener to alcohol and water with
promising results.
	I should say I don't know what is in the hammer softener formula, but
in any case, it is a single strength if used straight. I assume you
could mix with alcohol - maybe 100% denatured - to reduce effect, and
make it less extreme.
	I haven't had success using a softening agent on lacquered hammers.

>  why not just needle the heck out of them? Just a time thing?

	A lot of seriously over-lacquered hammers, you are lucky if you can
get a needle in. And then you have just made a permanent hole, with no
positive effect of adding springiness to the hammer felt or reduced
density. The solids from the over application of hardener has filled
all or most of the space between the fibers. It happens mostly when
you have an instrument that is being "taken care of" by far too many
people, none of whom knows what anyone else is doing (and some of whom
are obviously lacking in experience, skill, and sense).
	Until you wash some or most of the solids out, you have an unworkable
conglomerate material. Voice grips don't help either.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu