[CAUT] A record low humidity reading, for me

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Dec 8 19:26:42 PST 2008

Dear List-oires -
I don't generally take the time to simply "share" some experience,
unless there's a particular point I'd like to make, or question to
ask.  This time, it's just sharing.

My current psychromatic tool of choice is an upscale version of the
one Pianotek shows on page C-1 of their catalog.  It is a Mannix (now
General) EP8706, which claims to be accurate to +/- 2% as opposed to
5%, and which can be re calibrated by the user (me).  I've checked it
against a more expensive gauge and it seems quite close.  Today, in a
couple of public school buildings, I got readings as low as 4.5%.  I
breathed on it to make sure it wasn't broken, or I wasn't
dead.  Neither was the case.  I know, within the context of the
recent thread "What to do", Jim Busby said that his collection of
some 420 instruments is frequently exposed to levels lower than
10%.   That seems disturbing enough, but how long would anything
last, with extended exposure to 5%?

Anyway, I was impressed.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY