[CAUT] String Level

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Tue Dec 9 09:00:14 PST 2008

Yes, annoying, isn't it?  String leveling is never finished.

It happens because the bend in the wire moves.  New wire does not take a
clear bend when it is first installed, but because it is so stiff it
makes a smooth arc through the agraffe.  When we hook the wire up, it
sharpens the bend in the wire a little. This bend is nicely placed right
where it should be, under the capo or in the agraffe.  As soon as you
raise the pitch, the bend creeps towards the tuning pin, causing the
string to push down in the speaking length.

This is why I mentioned that I like to do an overall string hook job
before leveling - it starts the process of stabilizing the bends, and if
you raise the pitch sharp first hopefully the bends will be close to
where they will stay.  If you are really artful, you raise the pitch
exactly enough so that the piano is in perfectly tune after the string
leveling . . . . :-)    In reality, one can guesstimate the pitch raise
by seating one sample string, measuring how flat it goes, then quick
pitch raise the piano that much sharp.

I attached a slide from one of my stability classes, with pictures of 4
wires.  The first is from an old Steinway, the second is a fresh wire
just put in and pulled to pitch for a minute or so, then removed again.
The 3rd is a more flexible wire (Roslau Blue) that I did the same thing
to. The 4th is another stiff wire that I pulled to pitch, then seated
and hooked.  The bends you see are the capo bar / counter bearing bends.

So if you picture having the sharp bend under the capo, you can see how
pulling the string towards the tuning pin will cause the 'kink' to move
away from the capo, and the smooth arc will try to return, pushing the
wire down.  Flattening the pitch substantially will cause the string to
go up, as the kink begins to move into the speaking length.

Don Mannino

  _____