[CAUT] A record low humidity reading, for me

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 9 11:32:45 PST 2008

Hi David,
	I regularly get readings of 2.5 - 4.5% in winter at a private school
I service, using the same Mannix hygrometer. (Outside on a hot summer
day, and in a solar heated car, I get below 2%.) At my university, i
get below 10%, but haven't yet dipped below 5%. In any case, yes,
pianos survive those conditions. Things happen: plastic keytops
develop hairline cracks (just a visual problem, they're not pulling
loose); keyslips become difficult to remove because they are longer
than the gap is wide (and other similar fitting issues); and, yes, a
few soundboard cracks appear, though far less than I would expect.
	The RH doesn't get above 60% generally, and the high end of the
season is fairly short, and I think this is a big help: the wood
doesn't swell enough to crush fibers. Some pianos that come, say, from
England simply fall apart. I had to remove the lid hinge ("piano"
style) from a Broadwood grand and cut/file away a total of at least 1
cm of brass so that it would re-install lying flat. And there is
buckling of veneer. But the piano is fine.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu