[CAUT] screw-y stuff

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Dec 10 14:05:16 PST 2008

>The more I use Webb's Wood Rebuilder the more impressed I am with
>it.  Drill out the splintered wood that's left, fill hole with WWR
>and drill a new pilot hole (when it has cured of course).  I used it
>the other day to repair some keys where some wood had been torn out
>in the removal of key buttons.  It worked very well.  The only
>caveat is not trying to fill too small a hole.  It's hard to get the
>stuff in a torn up pilot hole for a #4 screw.

For small holes, I've had very good luck with a small strip of
buckskin (or two or three smaller strips if the hole HAS to stay
completely centered) wet with Elmer's glue. First you put the strip
in, see if any sticks out of the hole, trim off the amount sticking
out, wet the strip and put it back in. Or you can set it into the
small hole and just squeeze the Elmer's in to fill it. Then screw the
screw back in, taking care that you don't push the leather ahead of
it. (It seldom tries to do that.)

You can go down the long hinge, testing each and every screw, and
then using very thin strips of leather and Elmer's on everything
loose. It goes very quickly. Some of the glue squeezes out and can be
rubbed off with a barely damp towel, if one cares about that. It's
also good for those tiny screws holding on the music desk and bench
hinges, which always seem to end up overturned.

The leather gets squishy from being wet, conforms to the hole and the
screw threads, and then hardens as it dries, making new screw
threads. Leather works better than wood (toothpicks) because the
screw threads won't chew it up later on. Elmer's is nontoxic and easy
to carry, and is flexible enough once set up that it still has a
little give, unlike CA glue, which can be brittle and also gives off
fumes. I've never had the screws refuse to turn back out after the
glue has set up, possibly due to Elmer's flexibility. If worried
about the screw sticking to the whole thing, one can smear a little
lubricant or soap on the threads before installing it.

This is a procedure altered somewhat by years of use on many stripped
out screw holes of various sizes. I believe that the original tip of
using leather and white glue came from Jeff Hickey, who passed it on
(with minor variations) as an easy way to fix stripped out screw
holes in Steinway metal-clad action rails. Compared to drilling and
inserting plugs and then making pilot holes, it is very easy and effective.

For large broken-out holes, I'd use epoxy (maybe with plugs) instead.

Susan Kline
OSU, Corvallis, OR