[CAUT] Climate Control

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 13 13:23:48 PST 2008

Toughest piano I ever had to keep in tune was for a Jim Brickman concert.
He brought his own C7 with him (guy with that kind of money, why doesn't he
have an S6?).  It had been in a truck the night before at below 25 degrees
somewhere in the northeast.  It was the first thing they unloaded here the
next morning.  Even though it sat on the stage all day, and I didn't tune
until around 6 pm, it still hadn't corrected for temperature.  I tuned again
just before curtain.  I never have to touch up at intermission, but I did
that night (and he was very complimentary). I left not long afterward so I
don't know how well it held the rest of the evening. (it was Christmas Eve
and Santa Claus was calling.)

It takes days for a piano to stably reacclimate to major temperature
changes, weeks for major humidity changes, which is why institutional pianos
are never stable.
Tanner