[CAUT] Schiedmayer celestas

Douglas E. Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 16 18:45:19 PST 2008

Yes, I've regulated one older Schiedmayer, one Mustel, one Burrows, and one celesta of somewhat questionable origin. The Burrows required new felts for the bars, which I obtained from Schiedmayer.

I basically followed the recipe from the Journal (July 2003). It very nicely explains how to go about it. I had to use my piano tuner instincts for the various miscellaneous items not laid out in the article, but all four instruments had outcomes good enough for the owners to be happy to pay me for 10 hours or so of regulating, etc. (another 5 hours or so for the refelting, plus the cost of materials).

Do pay particular attention to key bushings and balance rail holes. The offset keys won't regulate well if they wobble.

Doug Wood