[CAUT] SAMA

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Wed Dec 17 10:36:12 PST 2008

Tim,

my long time friend Craig Russell has used SAMA for at least 4 rebuilds this
year.  He is always happy with the work they do.  A dealer here in
Cincinnati had 2 Steinways and a Mason rebuilt by them and I thought for the
most part they were okay.  I probably wouldn't send them any work that was
out of the norm.  They seem to do well with common brands and the finishing
is vary good.  If I was going to go that rout I would probably do the action
work myself and let them handle the restringing and case work.  My friend is
in El Paso so he can put the pressure on them if needed.  That could be one
reason they strive to make him happy.  I can't recall who is in charge but I
know his first name is Salvador and he lives in El Paso and drives across to
Juarez to work each day.  I have thought of sending pianos down to them but
all and all I would rather have the piano here in the shop, even if we have
to pay so much for refinishing these days.  You can't beat the prices for
rebuilding and refinishing they offer...  Its a good deal no doubt.  The
only reason I said that I would probably do the action work is because I saw
an action that came back from them that needed quite a bit of work to
straiten out some mistakes, (shank burning and so on.)  They will openly
tell you that they don't do much in the way of regulating, the best you can
hope for is the keys are leveled and set to 2.5.  Everything else will be up
to you.

Regards,
Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563