[CAUT] SAMA

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 17 17:02:37 PST 2008

I used SAMA for a couple Ms a few years back, standard refinish and
restring. Nice finish (I did the extra thick option), and quite
reasonable restring and pinbock. I did the action work. I had some
issues, but they weren't that hard to deal with. Damper flats were too
thick compared to trichords, so I had to peel 2mm or so of felt. The
block wasn't doweled to the stretcher (I didn't expect that), but was
close enough to create a buzz (they didn't add felt or glue). Little
things like that. But nice coils, and generally quality work.
	Salvador Ortiz (I think that's his name) is the foreman, runs the
place. He and Guy came to Albuquerque to give a program, and showed a
video Guy had shot. Looked like a decently organized operation.
Salvador was in charge of the Baldwin factory in Juarez before it
closed. SAMA was underwritten by some piano dealers as a way to send
trade-ins for re-furbish and resale. So that was the real focus until
Guy got involved. I don't know what's up now. I had trouble getting a
quote last spring for another couple pianos, and haven't followed
through yet. And just now I couldn't load the samapiano web page.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu