[CAUT] Sostenuto

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Sun Dec 28 23:16:59 PST 2008

Sustenuto adjustment:

The new sustenuto pivoted/sprung tabs make adjustment easier than the
old semi rigid tabs which were adjusted so that the sustain pedal
would raise the tabs less than the key rise of the tabs so that:
When a damper is held up with the sustenuto and the sustain pedal is
pressed, the sustenuto tabs lifted by the sustain pedal do not reach
the sustenuto blade.  The sustenuto blade catches only the tab held
up by the key slightly but positively and misses the rest tabs
because they are not high enough.

The blade should pivot no higher than 90° and sometimes less and on
return should miss the tabs lifted by the sustain pedal or gently
brush by them.

The key/damper lift is limited by the damper up stop and the
sustenuto will push the damper lever into the up stop felt.

Many pianos with the pivoted individual sustenuto tabs can be
misadjusted so that the sustenuto blade may have a time getting past
the raised damper tabs.

The solution may be to first limit the pivot the pedal blade to 90°
and possibly move the blade in its entirety back to a little more
than barely catch the damper sustenuto tabs.  If the damper pedal
lifts the dampers too high, the sustenuto pedal blade may not readily
get by dampers held up by any keys.  In any event, the damper
sustenuto tabs should not be contacted by the normal damper lift.

Dan Gurnee RPT, HSU Retired