[CAUT] Sostenuto

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 19:34:01 PST 2008

If you press down on the tab with your finger, and release it as if your
finger were the sostenuto rod turning down to rest position, you will hear
the tab slap against the upper surface of the damper flange. Multiply by 60
or so and you've got a good slap sound.

I don't see how this can be prevented. Perhaps by weakening the tiny tab
springs and inserting little felt cushions?? Might be a good way to ruin a
set of flanges.

What I am trying to imagine is what possible musical effect could be
accomplished by releasing the sostenuto pedal while holding down the damper
pedal?

Could the music call for holding down the damper pedal while releasing the
sostenuto in order to press the una corda? Does anything call for this?

Ed Sutton