[CAUT] Voicing Steinway D

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Sat Jan 5 16:32:03 MST 2008

I guess its the "same sound" thing. Well I meant the same power and same
attack. I'd really rather not go into a voicing in all its aspects and
qualities. I hope this clarifies sufficiently. I was only trying to tell the
guy where the lacquer should go for the best bang for the buck. "Ala
Drasche," as Franz always calls it, is saturating with a thin solution then
building up with heavier, but that's not what is done to Ds at Steinway.
Building up the solids directly in the crown will yield the best result. Of
course then you start needling and ....
Chris