[CAUT] pictures of new key weighting pattern

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Mon Jan 7 17:05:30 MST 2008

Hey Tim,
I just finished a Steinway A action from the 1930 era, that had been worked over twice since the factory, the last time they used heavy hammers but left in the 15.65 knuckle (heads) and they added so much lead that there were literally strips of lead in the front of the keys. No back leading. The client would not go for the wait time and extra expense of the more proper new keyboard so I carefully removed what I didn't need, not wanting to disturb the already cracking keys any more than necessary. I used Arabatron Wood Putty and Liquid wood to "rebuild" the keys (do allow the full 5 days for it to set completely) and then did a fine balancing. Although I did not remove anywhere near all of the leads my lead waste box weighed in at just over 15 lbs. so I think I could have blown you away if I had started over with a new pattern. Anyway got ya beat, slightly.
I'll bet there's somebody out there with an SM or L from the teflon/accelerated weigh-off/16mm knuckle period that could laugh us out of the water. I've actually done a couple of those but didn't keep track of waste. Let the games begin.
Chris Solliday