[CAUT] damper guider rails

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jan 11 13:18:40 MST 2008

There is not any guarantee that the old rail will line up well enough
with the strings after a soundboard / bridge replacement. Sounds to me
like a fine opportunity to make yourself a brand new rail.  This is
actually quite easy and its a good thing to be able to know how to do.
We did pretty much exactly this at the Oberlin Steinway seminar this
summer as they had a few older Steinways with a double bushing cloth
solution that they wanted to convert to single cloth bushings.

Marking the bushing holes is quite easy... drilling should be done with
fence and drill press... you want to be dead accurate.  Since doing that
this summer I've looked at many a guide rail.  Looks to me like lots of
guys at factories get pretty damned good at free hand drilling.... and
by that I mean they get good enough to get away with it... but not good
enough to not leave significant room for improvement.

Cheers
RicB

    List,

    I just got our Steinway A back from getting a new board, bridges, etc
    replaced.  The damper guide rail was not reattached and no new holes
    were
    drilled in the board for the screws.

     >From where do I measure to align the rail back properly so the
    dampers