[CAUT] Hoisting of piano - SUCCESS!

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Mon Jan 14 13:42:48 MST 2008

Greetings listers,

	Some time ago I posted with questions about hoisting a grand piano
up and over a choir loft glass wall. I received many suggestions and
interest so I thought that I would post the results. It was a resounding
success!! The method that we chose was to erect scaffolding and pull the
piano up through the center like an elevator. Once we got to the right level
a ramp was used to go across to a shorter set of scaffold and then the piano
was lowered to the balcony floor from there. There was never really a time
when anything was even remotely out of control except my nerves while
erecting scaffolding more than 25’ in the air. I am NOT a big fan of heights
so I had some trouble wielding around heavy scaffold pieces with nothing
around me to hold on to. That first piece of a new level while more than 25’
up can certainly add a few grey hairs.  The scaffolding fit down the center
isle with no more than ½” on either side before touching the pews. We didn’t
even leave a scratch, anywhere!
	I’m sure the list won’t accept any photos as they are all high res.
If anyone really wants to see I can try and play with the pics and get them
down to size but suffice it to say it all went well. Thanks for your
interest and your suggestions!

All the best,

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté