[CAUT] "All Steinway" Schools. The problem with...

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Nov 22 17:37:16 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:
> Is it possible that only practicing on one brand of piano results in
> performers who only know how to play that brand of piano, and so,
> believe that it is the only best piano for performance?
> Kinda like knowing that English is the language everybody else
> should learn to speak?
> ES

	I have to say that from my experience, what is more important is
whether the piano has been well maintained: in good "condition,"
regulation, voice, tune. Practicing on pianos that are lacking in
those respects is definitely a detriment. As for variety, and how that
impacts the educational experience, I am certainly in favor of variety
(personal experience as a performer/practicer included here). But I
must say that I find more variety among pianos within the Steinway
line than among pianos in any other line. Some will say that is a
defect caused by bad production or design standards. I say it is
admirable whether or not it is a "defect," because variety is
necessary to the performer. Pity the violinist who has to choose one
instrument. I'd rather be the pianist who has to take "pot luck" some
times.
	Bottom line, yes, philosophically and indeed practically speaking I
hold with those who favor diversity. Diversity of brand may or may not
be a good thing in and of itself, depending on many factors. If the
brand S&S plus the marketing skill of the company is capable of
getting donors to open their wallets, I say hurrah!! In most of these
cases, there was no replacement budget or a laughably inadequate one
prior to "taking the plunge."
	The number of schools which have adequate replacement budgets, and
are capable of maintaining both diversity and quality (of maintenance
especially) is pretty tiny. I happen to work at one (well, we have an
adequate replacement budget, and a not quite adequate maintenance
budget). Trying to come up with a variety of quality instruments is a
challenge, especially working under state regulations. Our dealerships
are limited in their offerings, and I often don't get bids on
instruments I would want to consider (eg, the dealer who carries
Bechstein as well as Kawai and Yamaha failed to bid the Bechstein last
year even though I listed it on the request for bids). Shrinking
markets and increasingly weak dealerships mean choices are very
limited, unless I want to go to the expense of shipping people 500
miles or more to try out pianos (and they are willing to spend the
time).
	In any case, this whole question is very much a mixed bag. There are
a lot of passions aroused one way and another. I think that on the
whole, those schools who choose to go all-Steinway are well served, as
long as they have adequate maintenance staff. If variety of brand/
manufacturer is a big plus, this means that all the other schools have
the opportunity to compete on this basis, and if it is a big plus, the
students will come flocking to their doors. What I fail to understand
is why people seem to feel threatened. Competition has been going on
in the piano world for 300 years. May it continue.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu