[CAUT] after ring on bass damper

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 22:42:20 MDT 2009

There have been pianos made with too little MASS. It is not just the softness of the felt, nor how it hits; but a combination of the three. Too much mass would not help.

I have a couple of 1900 to 1920 Chickering Quartergrands with the lovely screw in damper wires. The single string notes have absolutely too little mass to stop the string. The quick solution is a "sinker": a lead fishing weight, bead shaped with a hole down the middle. Split, install on the wire and then clamp down hard with pliers. I have had success with an occasional upright damper, as well.

Dave Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA