[CAUT] CAF

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:56:19 MDT 2009

Sice I started the S & S rest cushions thread that became CAF thread, my final solution involved many many things. I started with using protek to free the hammer flanges (remember the piano was outdoor for a week before this concert), Then I did the rep. springs that were a little weak. I did the wink test and all was good. What I didn't like was the fact that when aligned with the back of the knuckle's core, the jack had a broken line with the core (the jack was going at a backward angle to the knuckle core). I was still having failure. I also noticed that the hammer tails just after letoff were a litttle high from the top of the backchecks. Not much I could do there the day of the concert. Also, the angle of the backchecks were allowing the hammers to go down too much on a hard blow or when I pushed them down with my fingers after checking. So I changed the angle of the backchecks (moved the bottom toward the wippen while keeping the top almost at the same position). This helped a lot but I still had a few notes with failure. These were taken care of by easing the front keybushings a little and lubricating the keypins.

The piano ended up being playable with no failure, but the tech had a hard day.

Marcel Carey, RPT

Sherbrooke, QC